4.13.2010

I'll have a pantry, to go, please.

I am packed. All that remains to be done is to gather the last of the ancillary items, and to load up a cooler tomorrow morning, and then I'm off. I can't really convey how excited I am about this. It's both scary and exhilarating at the same time. My itinerary for tomorrow is simple. I'll leave as early in the morning as I can manage. Seven at the latest, and drive north towards Crossville, Tennessee. This isn't on the normal route to DC from Atlanta, but there is a thing I must see. A crazy thing. I'll blog about it soon enough, and we'll see if it was worth the detour. It just doesn't seem like you can take a cross country road trip without at least one or two side trips to see a mental thing.It's taken me three or four days to get everything ready to go, but at last I feel prepared. I have enough food to feed a small army, almost all of it dry pantry goods that will last forever. In the unlikely event that I'm knocked sideways into another universe, at least I'll know I have enough food to survive for quite some time.

This is my hardware bin. Pots, pans, baking supplies, and other thing I likely won't be using much on the road, but may well find myself needing when I get out to the farm:This is my dry goods storage, rice, and beans, seasonings, and other sundries. Lots of Asian ingredients, noodles, dried mushrooms, several soy products, and hot sauces. I have a hot sauce problem:
Next up we have the bins where I'll be storing the items I need the most. Cooking utensils, and my coffee and tea supplies. Spices and a working supply of some of my more common pantry items, rice and lentils and steel cut oatmeal, you know, stuff to make mush:


Last we have a shot of the whole kit, laid out so that I may survey all I'm bringing with me. Not really. This doesn't include my box of books and DVDs, or my clothes, but realistically speaking, this is most of it:


By this time tomorrow I'll be on the road, and my journey will be begun. I'm excited, and though I'm sure it will go by faster than I'd like, you can rest assured I will do everything within my power to be in the moment the whole time, to really appreciate the opportunities that present themselves, and to not miss anything that can't be avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment