4.09.2010

F1rst P0st!!1! (aren't I clever)

My name's Aaron Strich, and I'm aware that introducing myself on a blog that will be ignored by everyone on the internet, save those who already know and love me is superfluous. My blog, and I'll do it my way. I'm about to embark on a journey across the country to learn about myself, to figure out what it is that I want to do with my life. Though it isn't my only purpose, and it's mostly an unfunny joke, we will see if we can't answer that age old question: "Is Aaron a Farmer?"

I'm a writer, and you'll note I chose that word rather than author, since as yet, I'm unpublished. One day that may change, but I'm not convinced that will be a career that will sustain me in and of itself, but that doesn't mean that I have to settle, and do a job I hate, or even one that's simply dissatisfying to pay the bills. I believe I can find something, or more likely a combination of things that will allow me to live a life that I find both satisfying and enjoyable.

That's what I'm setting out to discover, what exactly such a life might entail. I'm going to Port Angeles, Washington. I leave this coming Wednesday, and I've got a few stops to make on the way, but soon enough, by the end of the month, I'll be on the Johnston Family Farm, as their newest intern. I'll spend the next six months learning what they do, and whether I have what it takes to make farming a part of my life. I know that it will be hard work. Physically speaking it will be as hard as anything I've ever done, but physical labor doesn't worry me; neither do long hours, nor small paychecks.

This blog isn't meant to be a chronicle of my journey, and it's not a way for me to practice my writing, though it will end up accomplishing those two thing as a side effect of it's true purpose, which is nothing more or less than keeping in touch with my family while I'm gone. I don't want the people that I love to think that I've forgotten them, and I want you all to know that you're in thoughts, and I miss you, and I can't wait to see you again.

My journey begins on Wednesday, as I said, I'll drive from North Georgia to Washington DC, to see my younger brother J, which is what I'll refer to him as, since that's his name. That was meant to be a sarcastic witticism, did that come across? Someone needs to go on ahead and work out a series of internet diacritical marks to indicate sarcasm, irony, bon mots, and witticism, as well as one for indicating when someone is pretending to be funny, but is really just being a dick. Well that was an unnecessary aside, wasn't it? As I said, my blog...

I'll spend a couple of days in our nation's capital visiting J, maybe hit up a museum or three, and eat a few good meals before venturing across the nation in a big green dodge van with nothing more than a pantry full of rice and beans, my cooking equipment, some clothes, and a good book or three(actually it's closer to twenty, but what can I say, I like to read). I'll then visit my grandparents in La Jolla. It's been over a year since I've seen my Grandma Pooh, or Saba, and I miss them both greatly.

After that it's a straight shot up the coast to the upper corner of the country where I'll make my home for the next half a year, while I learn about growing vegetables, and raising chickens and hogs. It should be most educational, and I'm really excited to begin my adventure. That's is what it is, in the end. Nothing more or less than an actual adventure, and even if I were to fail miserably, at least I'll know that I willingly took the scary path, the proverbial road less traveled, and no one will ever be able to take that away from me.

I'd like to take this chance to thank all of family for being supportive, even though I know some of you think I'm crazy; I won't try and convince you otherwise, especially given the fact that I don't entirely disagree. Mom, Grandma, I'm looking at you. Becca, Ashley, Matt, I'll miss reading to you every Thursday, but depending on the state of the internet access we'll try and work something out. I want you all to know that I'll be checking here, and you can always leave a comment, or gasp, twenty-first century, call me. Rachel and Tom, I'll be back for your wedding in September, and I can't wait to see the two of you formalize what we've all already known.

Lastly, but of course not least, Dad, Mindy, Thank you so much for all your support in this. Thank you for allowing me the chance to save, and prepare for this, and thank you, not only for allowing it, but actively encouraging it. I wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for you, and I'm grateful.

I'm not certain how often I'll be updating this; I'm going to be incredibly busy, after all, and in addition to farm work there are still stories for me to tell. I'm going to be setting up a place for you to keep track of anything on that front as well, though kids, it'll probably be best if you pay close attention to any NSFW(not safe for work, i.e. children)tags that pop up. I write everyday, and I'll continue to do so, regardless of how exhausted I will undoubtedly be. I'll keep writing, and I'll keep submitting what I write, since that's the only path I can take that will allow me to improve at this thing I love to do.

I love you all, and to those of you I'm coming to visit, I can't wait to see. In the meantime, keep me in your thoughts, and rest assured that you'll be in mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment