5.13.2010

My what a shocking afternoon...

No, really. I was trying in vain to get the pigs to eat from my hands, and I accidentally bumped the electric fence. If there had been anyone watching I have no doubt that they would still be laughing at me. I must have jumped three feet straight back from the fence waving my arm above of my head, and dancing back and forth from one foot to the other. Not sure why, but it seemed like the thing to do at the time.

Ever since i realized that I can get WiFi on the Johnston's gazebo, I've appropriated it as my spot, and when I got out here this afternoon I found that Christie had kindly put out a table and a chair for me. She's so sweet. It was a beautiful day, sunny, and seventy. I've been working hard, and the farm is starting to look really amazing. Fields are being tilled, produce is going into the ground.

Here are some pictures from the Dungeness Spit, where I took a hike last Sunday, my day of rest:


This tree trunk was over one Tom in diameter:



Still turning out loaf after loaf of bread, despite the difficulties of cooking in the trailer's oven, I'm achieving respectable results. Take a look:

What have we been doing, farm work? Do we do that? Oh yeah, peas, trellised, lettuce transplanted, and a compost pile built. I did the construction. Using tools. I know, it seems unlikely, but I was there. It happened. Proof:


Our compost to be, this pile is over six feet tall, and about thirty five feet long. I built the pipe system used to blow air through the pile:


The veggies we started the other day have sprouted. Squash, or as they say around these parts sqaursh:


And field corn; this stuff seriously looked liked pomegranate seeds, gorgeous:

A view of the new cupola atop the barn:

And to finish up off for the evening, how about a produce shot? Some cutting celery, shortly before being finely diced, sauteed and added to an omelet which was so yellow it was hard to believe:

It's late now, and I'd best leave you for now, but I'll reiterate all of my salient points. I love and miss you all. I'm having fun, working hard, eating well, getting my writing done, baking bread as much as ever, and I imagine none of that will be changing anytime in the immediate future.

No comments:

Post a Comment