5.30.2010

Is anybody out there...

I know that you're reading this, but I've gotten almost no reply to my call for questions so I'll repeat it; if there is anything you'd like to know, please feel free to ask in the comments, or send me an email, or a text. Help me out here people. I realized based on the questions I did get, that I've talked very little about conditions on the farm, and I'll be remedying that in my next post, as well as posting a tour of my trailer, but in the meantime, since I'm on vacation in Seattle...

That's right, I have two days off in a row, and took the opportunity to get out of the rural, idyllic, Olympic peninsula, and am checking out another of those metropolitan areas that has always called to me. I'm only going to be here for a day, but as I found out in Portland, a day is plenty long enough to develop a taste for a place, and a desire to return. If I'm being honest, only an effort of will kept me from returning to Oregon...that and the four and a half hour drive. Which is a little excessive for a day trip. Not that Seattle is all that much closer.

I'll get to what I did in the Capital of the PacNorWe in a moment, but first, what have I been up to on the farm since last we spoke? Well, this week it rained. Every day. All day. Despite that fact we managed to get a lot done. We spent three days planting brassicas, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbages and brussel sprouts, several kinds of each. We planted somewhere in the neighborhood of thirty rows of plants, around 1300 in all. It was a long hard week, but it's always satisfying to put food in the ground.

So to answer some question that nobodies asked...hows the writing going? Well, thanks. Since I've been on the road, I've finished three short stories, but haven't submitted nay of them yet. I'm working on the first round of editing, and it's going well. In addition to the short stories, I'm still working on the comic series I started at the beginning of April, and have just finished writing issue number six. It's going pretty well, I think. I'm getting along well with the Johnstons, we all work hard, and given my propensity for supplying them with baked goods, and their supplying me with farm fresh eggs and produce, and raw milk from a nearby dairy, we're all pre-disposed to get along.

I think it's time for me to move along, but I'll get another blog posted in a few days, I'll answer any questions that come up, and post some pics of the trailer, and share some of what I've did while in Seattle...any guesses? To finish us up until next time let's have some pictures.

The aforementioned idyllic small town(PA):


Who knew a brussel sprout could be so pretty(he's called Oliver)?:


My corn; my sweet, sweet corn:


Eggplants, recently transplanted into larger pots:


Some potato thyme bread, made from local flour, milk, potatoes and thyme(locavore what?), and the first cookies I made in the trailer oven:


Lastly, my new ride, gifted to me from a new friend, Leela. She interned with the Johnstons for several seasons, and now, with her husband, is running a farm down the road:

No comments:

Post a Comment