6.12.2010

On the subject of rain...

If you know me well, you're undoubtedly well aware of my fondness for rain, and rainy days. Not just for the obvious comfort of curling up inside on a gray day, with a cup of hot tea and a good book, though that is perfectly lovely, but the rain itself. The rain walk is one of my favorite pastimes, always has been, but I knew, esoterically at least, that the PacNorWe is a whole other kind of rainy than I'm used to, and I wondered often before I left for my journey, if day after day of working in the rain would dampen my enthusiasm. Did you see what I did there? Heh. Clever, me.

Well having done just that, more than once, I can say beyond doubt that I still love rainy days, and while working in the rain, often sucks; there is also a certain satisfaction to be found in it as well. As with any repetative task you fall into a sort of zen groove, weeding garlic or potatoes and your mind is elsewhere, writing or editing, or just appreciating the beauty of your surroundings. As long as the rain doesn't pass the threshold from drizzle or shower, to actual rain, the pleasant aspects far outweigh the negatives.

On my last day off it was free entry day up at the Olympic National Park, so I took the opportunity to take a short rain hike, the first one I've had a chance to take since I started working here. I'll keep the pictures to a minimum, but there are a couple I think are worth sharing:


Look! A banana slug! Weird! Gross!:


We've been getting some planting done, but we're definitely behind schedule. This week we planted five hundred ears of corn, and two thousand heads of celery(200 of which are celeriac, awesome). We planted Four beds of wheat, and a bed of flax. Kelly and Christie's daughter is graduating tonight, and so there are huge numbers of family coming this weekend, so in addition to a full day of farm work, they've been running around like headless chickens, cleaning, building a fire-pit, and other chores necessary to host a huge family gathering. I can't wait.

My first co-intern has arrived. Her name is Kay(sp?), and she came here from Texas, but spent most of her life in Connecticut. She's a recent college graduate, and has never done any work of this sort, either. She's a hard worker, and fast, so that's great for all of us. On Sunday her roomate, our third intern will be arriving, and we're all looking forward to having another pair of hands to help with the work.

I'm doing a lot of baking; I know, shocking, and I've been working on translating many of my standard cookie recipes to gluten free versions, to allow one of my new friends to eat his share of the baked goods. I'm also recipe testing the recipes from a baking book that one of my fellow Freshloafers is having published later this year, which is a fun excercise.

Last night I went to another potluck, on another farm. There was much fantastic food, as I've come to expect. Copper River Salmon, several different ways, fresh baked bread, baked by someone other than me(cool), and I baked a Banh Chuoi(Vietnamese banana cake) for some new people. After we ate, and had a farm tour there was a sing-along. No. Really. A sing-along. It was like being in a different century, and yet it was profoundly cool. These people were clearly passionate about sharing time together, and entertaining themselves, and having fun. They were pretty talented to boot. It was a perfect example of a happy melding of the old and the new. Sure, they were doing this very nineteenth century thing, making their own music, rather than just plugging in one of their iPods, but when they were inspired to play a song none of them knew the music for, all they had to do was hit the internet, and moments later they were gathered around and playing.

It was a really fun time, and yet another example of being rewarded for stepping outside my comfort zone. I've been endeavoring to accept as many invitations to hang out, or to go to a show, or see some art, as I can manage. Things are busy, busier than I've ever been, and I hope you're all keeping busy as well. I miss you, and I love you, and I hope to hear from you all if you have a chance. If you've sent me an e-mail, I promise you've got one coming in response, but I only have so much time each day, and that time is full to the brim. I'm always doing two things at once it seems, and I'm honestly really loving it, it's tiring, but it isn't wearying, if that makes any sense. I'll keep trying to blog more often, but will likely keep failing to do so. This is ok. E-mails and calls are forthcoming, I promise.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Aaron! How big is the Banana Slug? How far are you from the Forrest? Is the forrest beautiful?

    We miss you!
    Matt

    ReplyDelete