9.22.2011

A post with all those pictures I promised, parties, and picking, and pickling too...

I'm writing another blog entry, and so soon? Maybe it's late enough in the season that I've got some spare time. We'll find out later(hint: It's not).

For starters I realized you haven't really seen what's been going on in my part of the garden at Solstice, so I though I'd give a little tour.

My Garden, in several stages of development:



Radishes, first harvest of the year(many moons ago[not so long ago as it seems]):



Delicatas:



Fennel:



Carrots and beets:

Parsnips:

Cucumbers:

Brassicas:

The corn, maybe the only corn in the valley that's actually going to get ripe:
I've been eating hot buttered corn, well salted, all by itself for dinner for the last week, or so, three four ears at a time. One of the benefits of waiting for the season is that when it finally arrives you don't have to feel bad about (over)indulging.

The pumpkin(and the rest of the winter squash)patch, complete with Megan the wonder dog, patiently waiting outside of the garden(where she is not allowed):


Winter garden, freshly prepared for planting(complete with volunteer garlic):
And after a month or two; carrots under ag fabric, and beets and broccoli:


More carrots and beets; chard and kale:
Pig Pile:

Moutons sur le pâturage:

Last Sunday we had a big party to celebrate This Goat, Ike, a friend of the local farming community, a sculptor and pit-master extraordinaire, smoked the little kid for six hours, leaving me free to make a bunch of side-dishes for the party(in between helping out on several farms for farm tour). Friends, interns and farmers came, and complimented me on my first tanning project, which I'll try and get a picture of. It was a really special evening, the food was incredible(I made some of my standard party fare, hummus, pureed beet salad, pita bread, carrot and chickpea salad, celeri remoulade, smashed zucchini, you know, just a little nosh) and Tassie, who co-owned This goat with me, brought several other dishes, and we properly feasted. I might be able to get my hands on some pictures that someone else took at the party, but it will have to wait. It was a fine way to end a very full week, and it felt like a successful end to venture, despite the cute little guys untimely death. Olivia and I slaughtered and butchered his brother, That Goat, last week as well, and it was quite a good learning experience. It was the first time either of us actually did the whole process from beginning to end(without adult supervision, as I put it), and we did quite admirably, if I do say so myself. So if any of you ever need any small to medium sized animals slaughtered, and butchered, give me a call.

You might recall me mentioning a bridge earlier in the year, or on the phone, well, we finished it, and some benches, and a cute little roof, and I've done enough of the work to say, in all honesty, that I've now built a bridge, and some benches, and a cute little roof:

Now is that cool, or what?

Some of the food I've been eating lately, roasted beets, lamb sausage(from Solstice, with homemade kraut and mustard):

Some pickles, I made for Jen, who is in Montana, visiting her friend shawn(sean?):

And a little flower arrangement to close out the summer:

It's well on September, and it's starting to get cold, and grey again, and to be perfectly frank, I'm ready for things to start slowing down, but I know, that it's going to be a while yet before I have a chance, to breath, to relax, to take stock, and decide what my future will hold. I'm optimistic, despite being quite worn out, and excited about all the possibilities the future holds. I hope, as always, that you're doing well, and welcome questions, comments, and phone calls. I just sent off my final batch of hats, so if anyone needs any knit wear, I take requests.

Walking around and taking picture this morning gave me a moment to really appreciate how special the place I am, and I've been so busy(harried, if I'm being honest) that I haven't been as good about taking that time as I was last year. I'm sure that some of it, is just the simple fact of the wonder wearing off, and the reality of what I'm doing, and what I want to do settling in. I'm ready to be doing my own thing, and as much as I love Solstice, and all of the other farms where I'm working or just helping out, I'd really love to find a place of my own, where I can do things my own way, and make my own ,mistakes, and learn my own lessons. I think I'm ready for that. So if any of you have some land you think I could raise some sheep and goats and ducks and pigs, you just let me know(this statement is meant half-jokingly).

I love you all, and hope you're well, and hope to get the chance to see you all this winter. Fun and excitement in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment