5.28.2011

This is the third time I've sat down to write a blog entry...

...we'll see if I can actually get it finished this time. I'm not really certain why I've had such a hard time finding something to say. I've been busy enough that I feel like I should have tons of stories to relate, but when I try and start typing I find myself at a loss for what to say.

So what have I been doing? I ask for my own benefit as much as yours. This week, I helped finish planting the garden, squash, cukes, and corn. We trimmed sheep hooves, and wormed, and selected out the Ewe's who'll be culled after weaning(not the most pleasant of jobs). We installed a French drain at the northern edge of the garden. I weeded my peas(my own personal stash/cash crop), and helped Jim and Linda prepare breakfast at the B and B, one morning. I've been feeding our goats(did I mention I bought livestock with some of my fellow interns?) three evenings each week. This week for our FIELD class we took a nature hike, and discussed the natural history of the Olympic peninsula(and weeded raspberries); afterwards I played in the first farmer kickball game of the season. Aaron...team sports...it went much as I'm sure you're imagining it. The asparagus is probably on its last week, which means that we're finally allowed to partake with abandon, rather than harvesting it all for the co op. I've spent some time getting our row in the garden prepped and planted, and am beginning my planning for late summer plantings for fall and winter harvest. I've been doing research about motorcycle shipping options, my van just being too expensive for unpaid farm boy to use as a primary mode of transportation, I've also been biking a lot, and rocking the bus whenever possible.

We started the summer FIELD session last week, and have eight new interns participating, suddenly we are a force to be reckoned with. I've spent a lot of time talking over my plans with members of the food community here, and people all seem excited when I start talking about what I'd like to be doing in the next couple of years. Now all I need to do is find the right piece of land, and the right people, and secure all the funding, and...

In the meantime I'll continue learning all I can, and making plans that will undoubtedly all have to be changed when I finally find where I'll be, and learn what will be appropriate to do there.

I went to La Push for my friend Lela's birthday a few weeks ago. It was sunny and beautiful, and a perfect opportunity to enjoy sand in between our toes, and wonderful food(as is always the case when a bunch of farmers get together for a special occasion), not to mention scenery unlike any beaches I've experienced until I came to Washington:




Starts, ready for transplanting(which have been planted in the past weeks[and Ellen our fierce, fat, barn cat]):



50 Rhode Island Red chicks
Steaming hot pizza, fresh from the oven(rhubarb, roasted radish, and mixed greens, with local chevre):

Making cheese in my spare time(notice the Robert Heinlein quote in the background, which I didn't even put up):My goats, these two This Goat and That Goat, have been joined by two more, Other Goat, and Ike's Goat.

This Goat:

That Goat:

The goat pen, complete with pallet based, Aaron constructed, shelter:


The flowers, in bloom, keep our apartment bright, and smelling sweet:


I hope everyone is doing as well as I am. I find myself constantly surrounded by people who are as excited about what we're doing as I am. This has helped me to appreciate where I am. Solstice is really a beautiful place, and a part of an even larger community of people who support what we're doing.

I'm really lucky, and have on more than one occasion in the last week had the chance to remark aloud to myself, that I really love my life. I hope you all are loving your lives as well, regardless of whatever challenges we face, there is much to be optimistic about, much to be excited about.

I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment