10.03.2010

Have you ever found yourself nostalgic for something you never had?

That's how I feel about Lake Crescent, but that's not what brought this thought to mind. What caused this line of introspection was this...


Some pictures from the Wednesday market in Sequim, booth manned by my co-intern Ruth:


After said market, I drove East, around the sound, and wound up trying to go to a show in Seattle, but, and this I find both perturbing and absolutely hilarious; I couldn't park the van. No joke. I spent an hour trying, both on the street and in lots, and it was useless. C'est la vie. I crashed in my van, and flew across the country back to Georgia.

I almost typed 'back home', to Georgia, but as you all must know by now, as much as I love it there, and as much as I miss all my friends and family, that place isn't my home anymore. It doesn't cease to amuse me that it took my leaving to truly develop an appreciation for it, and it felt great to go back, but it felt very much like going on Vacation, not returning home. I got to do almost everything I wanted to, for such a short trip. I got to see my old work compatriots, and I got to bake them cookies. I went for a hike at Vickery Creek with Dahveed, while J and the girls got a nail-job. I made bread for my family, and I got to eat all the things I had hoped to: pulled pork and mac and cheese at BBQ1, pizza at Five Seasons, shrimp and grits at Relish(not to mention biscuits and gravy). I got to drink a beer at five seasons, and I got a Sweetwater and a Terrapin at the wedding. What can I say about the wedding aside from the obvious? It was fantastic, Rachel was beautiful, and it was great to see everyone who made it. I'm so glad I was there, and I can't wait for the chance to go back and see everyone again.

From my first bake after returning from Georgia, Triticale Flax bread, and gluten-free chocolate chip cookies:


The greenhouse, look at how tall those tomatoes are:


Thai bird chilis. These things are ridiculous. I sometimes eat one as a post-breakfast treat(or punishment):

A blue hubbard, bigger than my head, by quite a bit:

A forest of leeks:


And maybe my favorite thing we grew on the farm this season, Cupani sweet peas, beautiful, fragrant, and utterly impractical from a market standpoint. An example of how sometimes it's alright to save the best things for yourself:



From my walk this morning. I stayed at the barn dance last night until the wee hours. I even danced, or as close to it as I'm capable of, at least. It was fun as always. There waspotluck, and strong coffee, good beer, homemade wine, and of course music.

I actually am not going for a hike today, although I probably should. Instead I'm staying in, reading, writing, and making a pot of soup. Here are some pictures from my last weekend hike, up to Hurricane Hill:



It was an odd hike, once I got to the top I was surrounded on all sides by a misty bubble. It was as if I was the only person in the whole world. I couldn't see beyond ten feet, and if a bear had chosen to devour me, I would never have seen it coming. Still it was a beautiful walk, the leaves had just begun to turn in earnest, which process is continuing now, and making me simultaneously happy and melancholy.

I can't believe my summer on the farm is coming to an end, and while there is still plenty of work to be done on the farm, it's a different sort of work, equally important, and equally satisfying, but without the instant gratification of summer crops. We're getting the food harvested, and tilling, and planting cover crops, which will simultaneously protect and enrich the soil over the winter. Soon enough it will be time to plant garlic, which will be a major project.

Oh, and anyone recognize these?:

I'll get them in the mail as soon as I can. Sorry about that.

It was so good to see you all, and I'm sure I'll see many of you again in December. As soon as I have any concrete plans I'll be sure to let everyone know. I love you all. Hope you're enjoying life as much as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment