9.08.2010

A blog utterly without pictures...

Long time no blog. I lost my camera, and so you'll have to do with hyperlinks(remember when links were called hyper?) and my words. I've been well. Things on the farm have begun to slow, but we're no less busy than we were before. We've merely refocused our energies on preparing the farm to overwinter. I'm sure it's still summery where many of you are, but here in the PacNorWe, if we're being honest with ourselves, summer is done. The rains have returned, and leaves have just begun to change. It's beautiful to be sure.

I've been doing the same things as I always have. I'm writing, and as far as I can tell, it seems that my storytelling has improved. I'm continuing to submit my short stories, and continuing to get rejections. All part of the process.

In the baking world, I've been playing around with developing cookie recipes from scratch, using only my knowledge of the effects of different ingredients on baked goods. I'll admit that it's a rather nerdy way to spend one's spare time, but it's more challenging than you might think. Quite satisfying as well. I'm submitting another round of applications to bakeries, no longer restricting myself to the bakery I'd most like to work at, and I've begun researching some other alternatives, including more farm internships, and the possibility of living in a van down by the river.

Did any of you do anything fun and exciting for labor day weekend? I did. It was, in fact, a perfect holiday. Highlights of the trip include, in no particular order: sleeping under the stars(and then the rain) on the back deck at Le Sage; my first yoga experience overlooking lake crescent, with clouds in the trees; entering, for the first time in over a decade, the pacific ocean(which I still maintain is not for swimming); tromping through the rain forest, in the rain. It was really a fantastic weekend, thanks to those of you(you know who you are *cough* Maggie *cough*) who made it happen. I really needed the time off, and can't imagine a better way I could have spent it.

I'm looking forward to going to Georgia for Rachel and Tom's wedding. I can't wait to see all of you. Hopefully by the time my next blog entry rolls around I'll have either found my camera, or borrowed one from one of my friends or compatriots. Hope you're all doing well, and if I owe any of you e-mail, or postcards, or phone calls, I promise I'll get to that as soon as I have a little time. Time is definitely at a premium these days. I honestly can't believe how fast this summer has gone by. My only real priority right now, is to find something to do with myself over the winter, and while I have no doubt I'll be able to find something, somewhere, there's a very big part of me that quavers at the thought that I'd willingly leave this place.

Love y'all, hope you're doing well, and a Happy birthday to Papa Miguel. I'm sure I'll see most of you in two weeks, and I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment